Matt “Rasta” Gray Memorial 2017
April 14 - 15 at Atlantic Beach
10th Annual Matt “Rasta” Gray Memorial
Surf – Skate – Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach Skate Park on April 14
and April 15 at 19th Street, Atlantic Beach for the surf contest!
10th Annual Matt Gray Memorial
Atlantic Beach, FL – The 10th annual Matt Gray Memorial surf, skate, and art event will kick off Friday, April 14th with an evening skateboarding, live art, and prizes at Oceanside Rotary Skate Park on the grounds of Jack Russell Park at 800 Seminole Road in Atlantic Beach.
Since its inception in 2007 the Matt Gray Memorial has raised more than $25,000 for college scholarships. In memory of a creative person, friend to many, and legendary Beaches’ local, each year the event incorporates three of Matt’s favorite things: surfing, skateboarding, and art.
On Friday, Boys and girls, ages 5 to 40, will compete inside (and above the lip) of Rotary Park’s one of a kind skate bowl. Artists, many of whom have donated their work, will also create live pieces during the contest. Spectators can join in the fun and enter to win one of the unique raffle prizes provided by Volcom, Electric and Sunrise Surf Shop.
On Saturday, the event moves to 19th Street in Atlantic Beach for the surfing contest. Regardless of the size of the surf, the atmosphere of positive vibes – an ode to the enduring nature of Matt – ensures that everyone at the beach has fun.
The memorial means the world to the Gray family and many others in the local beach community who loved him. All proceeds from the event go directly into the Matt Gray Memorial Scholarship Fund, which has helped more than 20 students attend college. Impressive skateboarding, amazing surfing, beautiful art, and fellowship fill the weekend. Just the way Matt would have wanted it.
- Matt died tragically at 21 when he was hit by a car while walking home
- At the time, he was studying art education at a local university
- Matt was a vocal leader, supporting the drive to construct the skate park in Atlantic Beach at city council meetings and in the community
- Matt was a surfer, skateboarder, and artist, but more importantly he was a force for positivity and a good friend to many
- In its 8-year history The Matt Gray Memorial Scholarship Fund has provided more than $25,000 and helped more than 20 Northeast Florida locals earn a college education